I am generally attracted to projects that have significant elements of both scientific and policy relevance as we work towards more sustainable use of marine resources. Consequently, I will look for students with substantial quantitative and analytical skills who share this boundary-spanning set of interests.

The School of Marine and Environmental Affairs accepts students for the Masters of Marine Affairs degree (equivalent to an M.A.). Unlike in a Ph.D. program, SMEA accepts students to the department, not to the research group of an individual professor. Generally, students pay tuition during their time at SMEA, but in some cases advisors can sponsor particular students through RAships. Other means of funding the master's degree include TAships and external scholarships, which prospective students should seek.